|The basic layout|
Here are the steps to create the book:
- Cut one piece of craft felt, 6 inches wide by 8 inches long.
- Cut a second piece of felt 4 inches wide by 6 inches long.
- Cut out letters in a contrasting colour. (I used an computer font, and traced the letters onto the felt).
- Cut out needle shape in a second contrasting colour. Cut a small eye in the needle.
- Fold the larger piece of felt in half. Arrange the letters and pin. Over hand stitch the letters for a puffy effect. If you prefer a less puffy effect, just use a running stitch. Don't pull the stitches too tight. Craft felt has a tendency to stretch.
- Thread the cord into the needle. Allow the thread to coil in an attractive manner around the needle. Use pins to anchor the cord. Attach the needle to the front of the book using a running stitch. Couch the cord onto the front. Couching is simply taking a small stitch on one side of the cord, catching a bit of the cord edge. Bring the thread over the top of the cord, catching a bit of the other side, and sink the thread into the cord. Repeat until the cord is attached to the front of the book.
- Remove the pins.
And, there you have it! If you want more needle storage space, simply add more pages by adding a second piece of felt inside the book. Two page fits pretty well, but three is a bit too full to close properly.